Skip to main content

Teachable moments.

A look into my fourth grade classroom today...

In writing we have been building a "Writing Strategies" section in our notebooks so that as students have time to free write, they have a section to go back to to refresh their memories on topics they would like to write about.

One strategy is Making a List.  Last week made a list of our 'Best Life Events.'  Today we made a list of our 'Worst Life Events.'  Before the kids dove into making their lists, they watched me model making my list and as I have been making my list, I have shared a few of my stories from each list to give them a little glimpse into life.

I have learned through this that I love storytelling.  Not only do I love storytelling, but I love storytelling with fourth graders. They love every story!! They laugh with such excitement and they look on with eager anticipation for what's to come next in the story.  It's wonderful.

Today, I chose to tell them a  few stories of events that were on my 'Worst Life Events.'  I shared about the time I had to get 16 stitches, getting my wisdom teeth out and how my dad was in the hospital (a couple times!)

I chose the next story for last, because I just knew that they would absolutely love this story.  So here it is (a shortened version without as much enthusiasm!)

When I turned 14 I was not very eager to drive, as most 14 year olds are.  Turning 14 in January, I did not get my driver's permit until April.

One night after attending Chaos, (a Wednesday night church program) my dad told me I was going to drive home.  After exchanging a few "No, it's really okay"  and "No, you're going to drive home" a few times,  I finally got in the driver's seat.

Our house was literally 2-3 miles away from the church, but even still, I drove very slow the whole way home.  I pulled in the driveway and stopped right outside the garage, put the car in park and said, "Okay, you can pull it in the garage," in my little 8th grade voice.

My dad insisted on me pulling the car into the garage.  Yet again, we went back and forth a couple of times.  You see, my dad drove a wide car and there is not a whole lot of clearance on the sides.  I gave every excuse in book from as simple as, "I don't want to" to "I won't be able to do it" to "Your car is way too big" to "I won't know when to stop."

Lovingly, my dad encourage me to do it and somehow I knew I was not going to get out of this one.  He told me he would let me know when to stop and told me I could do it.

So, with his confidence, I pulled forward, slowly, inch by inch, painfully slow.  My dad continued to encourage me, "Keep going, keep going, c'mon."

We finally reached the front of the garage and I heard my dad say the words, "Okay, hit the brake."

.... You know where this is going ...

Before I knew it, the car was slammed against the back of the garage.  Instead of moving my foot to the break, I slammed on the gas and sent the car straight into the back.  My mom could hear the sound from across the house, upstairs.

I have never been shown so much mercy.  After my dad was able to convince me to hit the BRAKE and then to reverse the car and put it in park-- he told me it would be alright.  Not once did he raise his voice.  He said, "It's okay, the car will be fine, are you okay?"  I was in shock and had tears strolling down my face a gut wrenching fear of what was to come, but it never came.  So much mercy.

To this day my brothers remind me of this story often.  And I am reminded of this story as the force of the car hitting the wall caused our kitchen countertops to shift a little. and there is a little bit of a difference between the countertops in my parents' kitchen-- the front edge doesn't quite line up evenly.

So, while telling this story, my fourth grade students are waiting with anticipation for what's to come next and they are laughing hysterically when I tell them that I slammed into the front of the house.  They had so many questions to follow including:

  1. How big was the dent in the wall?
  2. Was the car damaged?
  3. Were you okay? 
  4. Did you get in trouble?
  5. What happened to the car?
  6. Is the hole in the wall still there?
  7. What did the dent look like?
  8. Did your dad get hurt?
(Notice the repeating questions) ;)

However, my favorite question was this:

Do you think, sometime, your dad could come visit our class?

And the class echoed, "Yeaaaaaaahh!!"

So dad, they are dying to meet the man who survived teaching his only daughter to drive!

And P.S.- they'd love to hear more stories if ya got em!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S A BOY!

Yep, we are having a boy!! These two girlies are going to love up on him more than he will know what to do with.  Let's just say after the first two girls, Mark was totally prepared to be an all girl dad.  When he saw the ultrasound and asked the technician if this ultrasound looked different than the last two, and she agreed, his response was, "Huh." He smiled at me and said, man, we have a lot to do.  The tech laughed throughout the ultrasound and kept whispering to me, "He's funny."  Mark would stare at the ultrasound, measurements, etc. and turn around every couple of minutes and say only a couple words, "Wow, this will be different,"  "It's really real,"  "Huh,"  "We've got to start a new spreadsheet of names."  We had a fun day finding out the gender, and Abby had fun seeing the baby on the ultrasound.  We didn't let her in on the secret of boy/girl, as she wanted to be surprised.  Poor Emma did...

Our girls

Oh these girls. I never imagined I’d have girls- plural. Maybe one girl, but not more than one. I always envisioned our family being full of boys, just as both of our families are, and many of the generations of families are that come before ours. To be completely honest, I kind of wanted it that way too - it's what I've always known. However, one summer day, when I pregnant with Abby, I could feel God changing me, placing this tenderness on my heart and whispering to me that I don’t make the plans, he does. I could tell that I needed to make a shift, that my heart wasn't in the right place, and that he was going to be working change in me. It wasn't that I didn't ever want a girl, I had just been so convinced for so long that we would have a boy first. Then, two girls?! Sisters are a new concept in our family. 3 boys, 1 girl. 5 boys, 1 girl. Even both of my parents sibling sets are made up of boys (plural) and one girl. Can I just say th...

Honeymoooooon!

Mark and I headed to the Dominican Republic the Monday following our wedding! We had such a great time but were definitely to get home to Cedar Falls at the end. We stayed at the Hard Rock Resort in Punta Cana.  The resort was beautiful, ocean was beautiful, food was delcious and plentiful and we just had ourselves a nice trip :)  My favorite new thing I tried was probably the guacamole... this is a food that has always kind of grossed me out, but I decided to try it and it was so tasty! Mark was a big fan of the variety of meats at the Brazilian Grill restaurant (as was I).  We tried so many different meats that were cut off a skewer hot off the grill! Yummy.  Here are a few pictures from our trip :)