On Saturday, December 15th, I graduated from UNI. There were many weeks during the semester that I thought graduation would never come. Looking back at the semester- it flew by. It was probably one of the fastest semesters I have experienced, and I'm sure they will only go faster. August seems like just yesterday and reflecting on the memories of my two placements seems crazy because I can't believe I am done with student teaching and done with college. If you're wondering, no I do not have a job lined up. I plan to sub until the end of the school year, waiting for jobs to open up in meantime.
The end of student teaching brought me to a place that many people become familiar with during times of their lives. I am finished with college and waiting to see where God's plan will take me in these next few months; I am in the land between. Jeff Manion wrote a book called The Land Between and he was one of the speakers at the 2010 Global Leadership Summit. I listened to him speak on this topic realizing that though I had not experienced a time in the land between, there would be a time in my life when I would experience this. Now is one of those times. My land between is not even comparable to what many people face in times of suffering and transition, but I am now able to relate with Manion's message from two years ago.
When Moses led his people out of Egypt in order to follow God's call to the Promise Land, they spent years upon years in suffering, wondering where God was leading them. My land between does not even compare to the suffering that the Israelites faced, yet I am reminded through that story that God does provide in times of transition. The last few weeks I have felt little purpose and daily ask myself and wonder where does God want me to be? How can I contribute to my family in a way that will bring the most glory to God and how can I get there fast? I am hopeful that the Lord's purpose for the next stage in my life will be revealed within the next year. Until then, I will wait. Waiting is not a strength of mine and so I will be stretched these next few weeks. However, I desire more than anything to seek after the Lord's plans for my life and live a life that brings glory to him. Will that be in a classroom? Who knows. If so, what school building? Whose lives will I be able to make the most impact on? Which colleagues will He bring into my life? I am beyond excited thinking about it. Until then, I will wait on the Lord, just as the Israelites did.
Manion writes about in his book that the land between can be fertile soil for complaints. If there was one word to describe my negative attitudes I've had in the last 10 weeks, it would be complainer. Typically I do not complain a lot, but in the last 10 weeks my complaining has been at an all time high. This is one area that I have been struggling with. My 'happiness' changes with each circumstance which most times, results in complaining. I am searching for the joy that once consumed my soul and am ready to be done with the complaining, for my sake, but mostly for the people around me who have heard much of it, in particular, my dear husband.
The land between can also be a place for transformational growth if we (I) allow it. It is a place where I can learn to trust God most and to see his provision for my life. It can be a dangerous place but it can also be a place of great growth. I am seeking after the latter. There will be times I will fail, and for those times I am thankful for God's grace.
In this life, we are always looking for the next thing that will bring us happiness, wishing for the next thing to come. The other day I was reminded by my dad to live life where I am at, not chasing after the next thing, even if those things are good things. They will come. I will wait.
![]() |
| Before heading to commencement! |
![]() |
| All graduated :) |
| Two of my biggest supporters! Thank you mom and dad! |
The end of student teaching brought me to a place that many people become familiar with during times of their lives. I am finished with college and waiting to see where God's plan will take me in these next few months; I am in the land between. Jeff Manion wrote a book called The Land Between and he was one of the speakers at the 2010 Global Leadership Summit. I listened to him speak on this topic realizing that though I had not experienced a time in the land between, there would be a time in my life when I would experience this. Now is one of those times. My land between is not even comparable to what many people face in times of suffering and transition, but I am now able to relate with Manion's message from two years ago.
When Moses led his people out of Egypt in order to follow God's call to the Promise Land, they spent years upon years in suffering, wondering where God was leading them. My land between does not even compare to the suffering that the Israelites faced, yet I am reminded through that story that God does provide in times of transition. The last few weeks I have felt little purpose and daily ask myself and wonder where does God want me to be? How can I contribute to my family in a way that will bring the most glory to God and how can I get there fast? I am hopeful that the Lord's purpose for the next stage in my life will be revealed within the next year. Until then, I will wait. Waiting is not a strength of mine and so I will be stretched these next few weeks. However, I desire more than anything to seek after the Lord's plans for my life and live a life that brings glory to him. Will that be in a classroom? Who knows. If so, what school building? Whose lives will I be able to make the most impact on? Which colleagues will He bring into my life? I am beyond excited thinking about it. Until then, I will wait on the Lord, just as the Israelites did.
Manion writes about in his book that the land between can be fertile soil for complaints. If there was one word to describe my negative attitudes I've had in the last 10 weeks, it would be complainer. Typically I do not complain a lot, but in the last 10 weeks my complaining has been at an all time high. This is one area that I have been struggling with. My 'happiness' changes with each circumstance which most times, results in complaining. I am searching for the joy that once consumed my soul and am ready to be done with the complaining, for my sake, but mostly for the people around me who have heard much of it, in particular, my dear husband.
The land between can also be a place for transformational growth if we (I) allow it. It is a place where I can learn to trust God most and to see his provision for my life. It can be a dangerous place but it can also be a place of great growth. I am seeking after the latter. There will be times I will fail, and for those times I am thankful for God's grace.
In this life, we are always looking for the next thing that will bring us happiness, wishing for the next thing to come. The other day I was reminded by my dad to live life where I am at, not chasing after the next thing, even if those things are good things. They will come. I will wait.


Comments
Post a Comment