About two weeks ago we made a pretty big decision that would seem to be pretty spur of the moment... which maybe it was, a little bit.
In the midst of an overwhelming, flavor filled (literally) week in which I felt as though I had not had a "real" conversation with my husband for about 6 days- he brought an idea to the surface that had been on his mind a lot recently. In passing he said to me,
"What would you think about closing on Sundays?"
I asked, "Every Sunday?"
Mark's response, "Yup."
I let this soak in. To be honest, it didn't take too long. Mark had explained to me that he had thought about this before but this last week it has really been heavy on his heart that we needed to close on Sundays. I told Mark I thought it might be a good idea and asked if he was just considering it or pretty serious about/when we would start this. I threw out the idea of maybe starting in June but the conversation never came to anything and we only talked about it a couple of times after that. Mark mentioned maybe starting it in June but maybe just waiting until next summer.
These conversations took place between Tuesday and Thursday.
Sunday rolled around and we went about our normal routine- get ready, organize the Tropical Sno stuff, drop it off at the store, head to church. After service Mark turned to me and the first thing he said was, "I think we should close today."
Really? Today? In one hour tell people we are not opening on Sundays anymore?
That was my thought process. I could tell by the look on his face that I was not to take Mark's comment lightly. He simply said, "If it's wrong for us to be open on Sundays then it's wrong and we need to do something about it now, not later."
So, we decided. We would make a sign to put up at the store, and we'd be closed on Sundays- even on the most beautiful 80 degree Sundays.
Sunday is a day of rest. When Tropical Sno is open on Sundays, it is always in the back of our minds, even if we are not working. It also means that we do not have a day off in the week from the business.
Sunday is a family day for us. We love to hang out with both of our families on Sundays and it has always been hard to schedule our employees on Sundays, due to the fact that we do place such an emphasis on family.
It was an easy yet hard decision to make. If the weather is nice, Sundays can be one of our busiest days, often times with families. However, it was something that I feel the Lord placed on Mark's heart and so we will follow and see what He has in store for the future of Tropical Sno.
We can tell you this much-- we have truly enjoyed two Sundays of rest :)
Comments
Post a Comment