Skip to main content

Caravan 2013- Pensacola

This blog post comes about a month late, but better late than never, right?

Mark and I had the opportunity to go on the high school youth trip, Caravan, again this summer as leaders.  With such a great experience on the trip in New York last summer, I wasn't quite sure how this one would compare.

God always uses these trips to work in lives of high school students.

I was blown away by the trip.  Each and every day and each and every night during worship, I could just feel the Holy Spirit's presence amongst our group.  Lives being changed for God's glory.

We had such a great week.  We both had wonderful small groups of high school juniors who we were able to grow with, teach, and learn from.

A story of the Holy Spirit's work in my life:

On Tuesday night, the third night of worship, an undeniable fear came over me.  Fear for the year ahead, my first year of teaching.  The fear ran deep and questions were racing through my head.  How will I do it? Am I really prepared enough for the year ahead? Am I the best person for this job?  What if the kids don't like me? What if they don't respect me?  Will I be able to contribute enough to my teaching team?

I could feel and hear the lies penetrating my thoughts during worship and as the tears flowed- I was fearful for the year to come.  Yet, as I felt so weak standing there, I felt strong, not by my own strength, but by a strength that I knew came from Christ alone.  I cried out to God during worship, praising Him, knowing that I would be relying on His strength during my teaching career.  I could feel the Holy Spirit working in me; I wouldn't be able to do it on my own, but by seeking Him and   finding my strength from Him, it would be possible.  There was so much joy that came from that.  It didn't mean that the year was going to be easy, or that I wouldn't have to work my butt off, but I was at peace about that.  It was such a surreal moment for me and so hard to put into words.


There is nothing like seeing the Spirit work in others lives.  Mark and I love having the opportunity to witness changed hearts in lives of so many high school students that we care so much about.

By the way, we did go to Florida, and the beach was beautiful, the water was so great and the days were so much fun hanging out, playing beach volleyball and swimming in the Gulf :) It was a super trip!


Mark's Small Group 

Love serving with this guy :) 

My small group :) 

Some beautiful junior girls.  Some of these girls I have led in a small group since they were in 7th grade and some I have just gotten to know over the last few years.  It is such a blessing to be a part of all of their lives and watch how God is using them!! 

The female staff of the trip -- some great woman to spend the week with! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S A BOY!

Yep, we are having a boy!! These two girlies are going to love up on him more than he will know what to do with.  Let's just say after the first two girls, Mark was totally prepared to be an all girl dad.  When he saw the ultrasound and asked the technician if this ultrasound looked different than the last two, and she agreed, his response was, "Huh." He smiled at me and said, man, we have a lot to do.  The tech laughed throughout the ultrasound and kept whispering to me, "He's funny."  Mark would stare at the ultrasound, measurements, etc. and turn around every couple of minutes and say only a couple words, "Wow, this will be different,"  "It's really real,"  "Huh,"  "We've got to start a new spreadsheet of names."  We had a fun day finding out the gender, and Abby had fun seeing the baby on the ultrasound.  We didn't let her in on the secret of boy/girl, as she wanted to be surprised.  Poor Emma did...

Our girls

Oh these girls. I never imagined I’d have girls- plural. Maybe one girl, but not more than one. I always envisioned our family being full of boys, just as both of our families are, and many of the generations of families are that come before ours. To be completely honest, I kind of wanted it that way too - it's what I've always known. However, one summer day, when I pregnant with Abby, I could feel God changing me, placing this tenderness on my heart and whispering to me that I don’t make the plans, he does. I could tell that I needed to make a shift, that my heart wasn't in the right place, and that he was going to be working change in me. It wasn't that I didn't ever want a girl, I had just been so convinced for so long that we would have a boy first. Then, two girls?! Sisters are a new concept in our family. 3 boys, 1 girl. 5 boys, 1 girl. Even both of my parents sibling sets are made up of boys (plural) and one girl. Can I just say th...

Honeymoooooon!

Mark and I headed to the Dominican Republic the Monday following our wedding! We had such a great time but were definitely to get home to Cedar Falls at the end. We stayed at the Hard Rock Resort in Punta Cana.  The resort was beautiful, ocean was beautiful, food was delcious and plentiful and we just had ourselves a nice trip :)  My favorite new thing I tried was probably the guacamole... this is a food that has always kind of grossed me out, but I decided to try it and it was so tasty! Mark was a big fan of the variety of meats at the Brazilian Grill restaurant (as was I).  We tried so many different meats that were cut off a skewer hot off the grill! Yummy.  Here are a few pictures from our trip :)