This post is slightly unnecessarily emotional, as Mark would say. The contents of this post are really not as significant as it feels to me right now- but that's why I wanted to blog my thoughts tonight, to remember how I really did feel. So feel free to stop reading here. :) ....
Tonight another 'season' of life is closing just as another one is opening. It came fast and affected me more than I thought it would. The past four months I have been substitute teaching- day to day. In February I was asked to do a long-term position at an elementary in Cedar Falls. I eagerly accepted this and have been looking forward to it ever since.
The teacher I am long-term subbing for was due with her first baby on Tuesday. At her appointment on her due date they set an induction date for a week from her due date, the following Tuesday. So since Tuesday I have been taking jobs one day at a time wondering when I would get the call.
Today (Thursday) I subbed at a different school in town. For some reason this is the school I have subbed the most in and I have subbed in almost two classes in every grade. With that said, I have met many of the students at the school and I have come to love the familiar faces I see each day and particularly the hugs from little ones :) The teacher I subbed for today is going to be gone tomorrow too so the principal asked if I would be able to do tomorrow, knowing that I could possibly get a call at anytime. I accepted and he told me to call him if I were to get a call. I didn't really think anything of it to be honest!
So, go figure, tonight, at about 9:15, I got 'the call.' The teacher is not in labor but she is now on bed rest until she does go into labor. So, tomorrow I will teach her 6th grade class til the end of the year! I never thought about how it would feel to get the call. I am excited, nervous, anxious and thrilled. I am pumped to be in the same classroom each day building relationships with these students. I am excited to go to bed at night knowing where I will be going the next day.
However, I can be pretty sentimental at times. (Who would have thought?;)) and it may or may not be nearing that time of the month... I never considered the fact that I would have a "last" day of day-to-day subbing. I really thought it would be no big deal. (To be honest it really is no big deal but for some reason it is hitting hard with me). I was kind of looking forward to having one last day in that building I spent so much time in.
Day-to-day subbing can be stressful with a lot unknowns and often times many unfamiliar faces. However, I've come to LOVE it. Don't get me wrong, there are days I come home discouraged or longing for a 'real' job, but I will always treasure the experiences I gained and the people I met while long-term subbing.
There are so many people I met during the months I was subbing that can only be seen as a gift from God. It has been such a blessing being in and out of various buildings in Cedar Falls, meeting so many different teachers and building relationships with many of them. I will truly miss bopping in and out of some of these buildings and seeing these teachers day-to-day. They welcomed me each time I was there, cared for me and graciously helped me and encouraged me when I needed it most. I am thrilled to potentially be a part of ONE staff next year as a teacher but am thankful for the opportunity I had to meet many teachers in the area.
I have no idea what next year holds for me- whether I will have a full-time job or if I will be back to subbing. This semester flew by and this was a short 'season of life.' I am thankful for the experiences I had and the lessons I learned.
Wish me luck in this next season doing a long-term... I am excited!! :)
Tonight another 'season' of life is closing just as another one is opening. It came fast and affected me more than I thought it would. The past four months I have been substitute teaching- day to day. In February I was asked to do a long-term position at an elementary in Cedar Falls. I eagerly accepted this and have been looking forward to it ever since.
The teacher I am long-term subbing for was due with her first baby on Tuesday. At her appointment on her due date they set an induction date for a week from her due date, the following Tuesday. So since Tuesday I have been taking jobs one day at a time wondering when I would get the call.
Today (Thursday) I subbed at a different school in town. For some reason this is the school I have subbed the most in and I have subbed in almost two classes in every grade. With that said, I have met many of the students at the school and I have come to love the familiar faces I see each day and particularly the hugs from little ones :) The teacher I subbed for today is going to be gone tomorrow too so the principal asked if I would be able to do tomorrow, knowing that I could possibly get a call at anytime. I accepted and he told me to call him if I were to get a call. I didn't really think anything of it to be honest!
So, go figure, tonight, at about 9:15, I got 'the call.' The teacher is not in labor but she is now on bed rest until she does go into labor. So, tomorrow I will teach her 6th grade class til the end of the year! I never thought about how it would feel to get the call. I am excited, nervous, anxious and thrilled. I am pumped to be in the same classroom each day building relationships with these students. I am excited to go to bed at night knowing where I will be going the next day.
However, I can be pretty sentimental at times. (Who would have thought?;)) and it may or may not be nearing that time of the month... I never considered the fact that I would have a "last" day of day-to-day subbing. I really thought it would be no big deal. (To be honest it really is no big deal but for some reason it is hitting hard with me). I was kind of looking forward to having one last day in that building I spent so much time in.
Day-to-day subbing can be stressful with a lot unknowns and often times many unfamiliar faces. However, I've come to LOVE it. Don't get me wrong, there are days I come home discouraged or longing for a 'real' job, but I will always treasure the experiences I gained and the people I met while long-term subbing.
There are so many people I met during the months I was subbing that can only be seen as a gift from God. It has been such a blessing being in and out of various buildings in Cedar Falls, meeting so many different teachers and building relationships with many of them. I will truly miss bopping in and out of some of these buildings and seeing these teachers day-to-day. They welcomed me each time I was there, cared for me and graciously helped me and encouraged me when I needed it most. I am thrilled to potentially be a part of ONE staff next year as a teacher but am thankful for the opportunity I had to meet many teachers in the area.
I have no idea what next year holds for me- whether I will have a full-time job or if I will be back to subbing. This semester flew by and this was a short 'season of life.' I am thankful for the experiences I had and the lessons I learned.
Wish me luck in this next season doing a long-term... I am excited!! :)
Comments
Post a Comment